Has the world lost its mind?

Suomeksi: Onko maailma mennyt sekaisin?

For the past few years I have been a slave to my routines, because these routines have brought me stability when everything else has been falling apart. My mornings are so slow and long, completely rush-free. Lovely!

More than a year ago, when I transitioned into my isolation phase, I decided to delete all my social media profiles. I started by deleting all my friends, and after that, I intended to delete both FB and Insta. Then I started to go through my pics and my posts, and I just couldn’t go through with it. There is so much good stuff there!

As I went quietin my physical life, I also went quiet on social media. A woman who used to have so much to say now had no desire to post anything. A few times, I opened the apps and I truly wanted to make a post. But nothing came out. Absolutely nothing!

Then came Instagram and I have always liked that one from the beginning. Simple, lovely pics!

I shared my thoughts along my healing journey for a long time because it was a tool for me to become visible to myself, and at the same time, it was a perfect opportunity for me to face so many of my fears.


Now, when I look at the content on social media, the only thought I have is that I don’t want to waste my precious energy and wisdom in places where they are not truly valued.


How much the overall energy on social media has changed over the years is unbelievable!


Can you remember when FB first came out? It was amazing! What a great way to find long-lost relatives, friends, and co-workers! I remember how cool it was to connect with an old friend living in the US or Africa. It was a revolutionary invention where I was able to create my own social circle and had the chance to be a part of others' lives, even when living in different parts of the world! At the time, it was very nice to post pics and texts on social media and to follow your friends' lives. There was a pure intention behind it, and I really enjoyed it.


Bit by bit, all this started to change. Because of money. More ads and fewer updates from friends to see in your feed. Within a few years, all the glamour of this brilliant invention was gone from both of them. The joy and lightness that were so present before are now gone.


Social media now feels really heavy and even oppressive. Even though I try to control the things I see, I can’t always believe the kind of stuff that pops into my feed. It is really hard to control the algorithm because now the admins just want to keep you hooked and keep you clicking.


There are no rules about what you can post!

The content is so unbelievable—it is crazy! Everything is being filmed shamelessly. Attention-seeking is desperate, and one must get followers by any means, without any respect towards oneself or others. Even OF content is made in front of kids at football games or at the gym.

People think they are entitled to everything.

You can no longer tell what is real and what is AI.

We blame youngsters for being glued to their phones and how they lose social skills because of this. And of course, distress is increasing.

But instead of blaming the youngsters, we 'adults' should look deep in the mirror. We are running away from our own lives by getting addicted to this small box, following people who don’t mean anything to us. And at the same time, we ignore the most important people in our lives.

Someone dying or getting beaten up is just another reel in our feed.

I sometimes think that this world has totally lost its mind! I open my app and sit with my mouth open. Am I the only one with common sense?! When did we become so unconscious about what is right and what is wrong?! Is it only me who can see how immature and irresponsible people are?!

I am not a conspiracy theorist or a hippie, but my own healing (maturing) has opened my eyes to see how broken this world is! 

We accept all kinds of toxic behavior without having the courage to interfere in any way. I call this toxic empathy. We understand shitty behavior way too much, but now we can see what this kind of empathy and understanding has done to the world. It is a bit like buying alcohol for an alcoholic and then wondering why they don’t stop drinking!

Civilized behavior, 'thank you,' and 'you are welcome' seem to be becoming extinct. Accountability and apologizing are totally disappearing. In fact, we are so clueless and unconscious that we don’t even realize which behaviors are disrespectful!

What we are witnessing now is a trauma resurrection! Everybody is offended by everything. Every action and person is being criticized and bullied. There are fights and arguments about nothing. People are getting offended, harassed, and even threatened with violence or death!

And these are all reactions of emotionally immature people. Those people who keep transferring their own shit to their kids, inner circle and all around them instead of looking in the mirror and having the courage to start healing their own inner world. Reactive instead of reflective! 

Mature and content people don’t bully anyone, nor do they feel the need to bring anybody down! They don’t waste their time fighting about stupid things. Mature people can respect other points of view without getting angry.

I myself miss authenticity and depth. I miss empathy and sympathy. More love! I miss the energy that used to be present on these platforms before the pursuit of money and attention took over.

Since my healing, my world has become so different from the world I see. While others are crying for attention and outside validation, my world has become so nice and peaceful. My self-esteem doesn't need validation from anyone. As others get busier and busier, my world gets slower and slower. The more patience disappears from the world, the more it grows in mine. Where others are trying to be perfect, I am happy to be perfect enough. If you want to define me by my looks and not through my personality, you dont deserve me.

I don’t care what you wear, but who you are. I don’t care how much money you have, but how you treat your family and people you don’t know. I don’t care about your fancy title, but I do care about your values. 

Now, when someone asks me what it is that I do these days, I say: things that make me happy. Or if they ask about my goals, I say it is to keep and grow my inner peace. Or if they ask me what I want to accomplish, I say: to have a good time.

I don’t think my body could get back to the busy life. After years of survival mode, I really want to learn how to get out of it. That is my goal.

I am a creative person and I have this massive wisdom that comes from experience. Sometimes I feel this big push to bring it out into the world. How or where, I don’t know and it frustrates me every now and then. 

So, instead of posting anything, I breathe in some good ass prana, I put my sneakers on, and I head to the woods where I can admire the fields, flowers, and trees. I can smell autumn in the air.

My phone or social media have never been my number one priority. I'm going to stick with this. Scrolling is not that important, and I most certainly am not addicted to it. My life is so much more than that little box, and social media doesn’t define me in any way.

Let the world be fucked up. At least I am not creating more of the chaos. Quite the opposite.

A simple life, defined by me. That’s my thing.

Comments